This information is from the 2004-2005 Boston Public Schools Policy Handbook.
The Boston Public Schools are committed to ensuring that every graduate is a lifelong learner, productive worker, responsible citizen, and thoughtful participant in our diverse communities. Every teacher, administrator, parent/guardian and other adult involved in the lives of our students shares in the responsibility to ensure that all students meet these expectations.
Promotion Requirements for All Grades
Students must fulfill several requirements to be promoted to the next grade. All students must earn passing grades in certain courses, and maintain good attendance. In some grades, students also have to pass standardized tests in reading and math.
Promotion Requirements for Grade 10
To be promoted to grade11, students must have passed eight core academic courses in grades 9-10, including:
- two high school English Language Arts/ ESL courses
- at least one high school Mathematics course
- at least one high school Science course
- at least one high school History course
- three other courses from the following subject areas: math, science, history, world/native languages
For more information, please visit the BPS web site.