This information is from the 2004-2005 Boston Public Schools Policy Handbook.
The Boston Public Schools are committed to ensuring that every graduate is a lifelong learner, productive worker, responsible citizen, and thoughtful participant in our diverse communities. Every teacher, administrator, parent/guardian and other adult involved in the lives of our students shares in the responsibility to ensure that all students meet these expectations.
Promotion Requirements for All Grades
Students must fulfill several requirements to be promoted to the next grade. All students must earn passing grades in certain courses, and maintain good attendance. In some grades, students also have to pass standardized tests in reading and math.
Promotion Requirements for Grade 11
To be promoted to grade 12, students must have passed twelve core academic courses in grades 9-11, including:
- three high school English Language Arts/ESL courses
- at least two high school Mathematics courses
- at least two high school Science courses
- at least two high school History courses
- at least one World/Native Language course
- two other science, history, or world/native languages course
For more information, please visit the BPS web site.