This information is from the 2004-2005 Boston Public Schools Policy Handbook.
The Boston Public Schools are committed to ensuring that every graduate is a lifelong learner, productive worker, responsible citizen, and thoughtful participant in our diverse communities. Every teacher, administrator, parent/guardian and other adult involved in the lives of our students shares in the responsibility to ensure that all students meet these expectations.
Promotion Requirements for All Grades
Students must fulfill several requirements to be promoted to the next grade. All students must earn passing grades in certain courses, and maintain good attendance. In some grades, students also have to pass standardized tests in reading and math.
Promotion Requirements for Grade 9
To be promoted to grade 10, students must meet all these requirements:
- Pass both of the following:
- English Language Arts 9 or English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Mathematics: one high-school level course
- Pass two of the following:
- Unified Science 9
- World History 1
- World Language or Native Language
To pass ELA/ESL, students must pass at least one of the following reading tests:
- Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI)
- Qualitative Reading Inventory (QRI)
- BPS ESL Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT)
To pass Math, students must pass at least one of the following math tests:
- MCAS: Grade 8 Math
- BPS Math Assessment
- BPS Math Tasks
For more information, please visit the BPS web site.